What if I told you that there is something so simple, so powerful, so healing that can give you more peace, more fulfillment, more energy, a healthier mind and body, it only takes minutes a day and it is free, would you do it?
Of course you would. So are you ready for the big reveal?
Here it is…….Meditation!
Wait a minute before you start saying I tried it and/or that you can’t meditate. Just remember that it is very rare that someone can ride a bike, hit a curve ball or played a guitar like Eric Clapton the first time they tried it. Anything worthwhile doing in life takes a little (sometimes a lot) of practice. Meditation is actually quite simple if you know the secrets.
We will get to the secret I promise in a moment. First I would like to share the main reason why a daily meditation practice is the number one no cost technique to a healthier life. The reason, all the benefits that are documented in hundreds, YES HUNDREDS of scientific studies.
Benefits, Benefits, Benefits (Lots and Lots of Benefits)
- Reduced risk of heart disease by 50% or more
- Lower Blood Pressure
- Lower Cholesterol
- Reduced risk of stroke
- Decreases inflammation
- Decreases premenstrual syndrome and menopausal symptoms
- Reduces risk of Alzheimer’s and premature death
- Fibromyalgia symptoms improvement
- Reduce metabolic syndrome
- Helps manage the effects of trauma
- Extended longevity
- Reduce atherosclerosis
- Helps manage and prevent anxiety
- Helps treat epilepsy
- Helps you stop smoking
- Creates a state of deep rest in the body and mind
- Increases clarity of thinking
- Reduces emotional eating
- Fosters creativity
- Improves visual-spatial processing and working memory
- Reduces alcohol and substance abuse
- Increases mental strength, resilience and emotional intelligence
- Improves information processing and decision-making
- Reduced depression symptoms
- Reduced anxiety
- Increased cognitive retention
- Increased optimism and positive emotions
- Increased self-esteem
- Increased feelings of happiness and well-being
- Improved social skills in children and adolecsents
- Improved sleep
- Improved self-awareness
- Improved academic performance
I can keep going but I think you get the point. Who doesn’t want to improve, increase or reduce something in their life. If you didn’t find a benefit in this list you are better off than 99.99% of the population or you really need to meditate more then you realize.
And know for the secrets.
There are no bad meditations!
Yes this is true. Just by practicing meditation for 1 minute, 8 minutes, 20 or 60 minutes a day you are honoring your Higher Self which a is huge life affirming commitment and the benefits begin to flow.
Release any and all expectations.
Meditation is about “being”, not about “doing”. You have chosen to sit with all aspects of yourself in present moment awareness and just be. If you need help start with saying to yourself “Just be here now.”
Judge nothing that occurs.
What this means is whether you have a peaceful and/or insightful experience or your mind chatter didn’t stop or you fell asleep you were successful. The peaceful experience and/or insightful was just that a peaceful and/or insightful experience. Your mind chatter during meditation is tension or other forms of bound energy being released from your body/being. If you fell asleep then you needed the sleep more than the meditation. Your experience was what is was suppose to be.
Tips for your meditation practice:
- Setting up a routine for daily meditation will help you get started (same time of day, same location)
- Find a quiet comfortable place where you can sit uninterrupted each day.
- Setting a timer helps some people to not worry about the time.
- Close your eyes and sit up as straight as is comfortable for you.
- Be with your breath flowing in and out of your body or your chest raising and falling.
- When you discover you have been carried away by a thought (and you will), ever so gently and without judgment, come back to the awareness of your breath.
Meditation is a tool. It can help us live our lives from our center, our higher Selves. A tool that will cultivate our awareness of the interconnectedness of all life and the universe we inhabit. As we expand our awareness, our consciousness we contribute our own evolution and to the evolution of the human species. And these days we all know that our species can use a little evolving.